Asking questions and reviewing your medical history with a doctor can help you make informed decisions and helps your doctor administer the quality of care you need. Austin CyberKnife encourages our patients to prepare a list of questions before their consultation. Here are a few sample questions you may want to ask your doctor:
- What is the benefit of CyberKnife® treatment for my type of cancer? Each patient’s needs are unique, and it’s important to ask your doctor why this treatment specifically benefits you. You can read basic information on the benefits of CyberKnife prior to your visit here.
- How should I prepare for the treatment? Your doctor will issue specific instructions on how best to prepare for treatment.
- What should I expect during the treatment? Your doctor will take the time to explain the process in detail. Treatment will vary by patient but CyberKnife procedures are painless, require no sedation or anesthesia, and typically take between 30-90 minutes.
- What is the next step? Your nurse will collaborate with the physicians involved in your care to provide an individual plan for follow up. However, your doctor can advise of all possible side effects and recovery needs prior to treatment.
- Is there anything else we should address? Leave time for your doctor to answer any questions you may have forgotten or didn’t think to ask. Also, expect your doctor to ask you questions so he or she can better understand your individual needs and concerns.
The period leading up to cancer treatment can be scary and intimidating, but it’s important to remember that your input is an essential part of the process. Our team is focused on designing an individualized plan for your treatment. Request more information on Austin CyberKnife here.
This is not intended as medical advice to replace the expertise and judgment of your health care team. It is intended to help you and your family make informed decisions, together with your doctor.